Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm not familiar with all the fundamental parts of the VS, so this will be a rookie question.

enter image description here

I somehow made those rectangles appear near line numbers and I don't even know what they are called. So,

  • How do I make them disappear?
  • How do I make them appear?
  • What are they called and used for?

You may explain what they are used for if you feel like it, otherwise, providing the name will be sufficient for me to search my way through:)

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

These look like bookmarks in code. You can clear them by going to the Edit -> Bookmarks -> Clear bookmarks.

They are used for going to specific lines of code. Kind of like a bookmark in your web browser :)

share|improve this answer
As an additional note, if you have the Text Editor toolbar enabled, by default you'll get a bunch of button used to navigate using bookmarks. – heavyd Apr 10 '14 at 19:33

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.