Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've been trying to figure out what license I need for Windows7 in order to run the same instance both on HW and in a VM. Apparently it's not an OEM license ;)

NB Yes, I'm installing Windows just one single time, I just happen to want to boot it in two different ways.

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Microsoft Link:

Basically one way:

Cover it under Software Assurance

You can enable rights using other methods VDA subscription or CSL subscription, but cost prohibitive.

Link to the SA site:

share|improve this answer
Ah, that's what I feared, I have to upgrade myself to a multi-million-dollar company first, then I can use my computer the way I'd like. Well, well, I already knew that licenses tend to suck. Thanks for helping me find this out. – Magnus Apr 30 '14 at 7:31

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .