Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've been trying to figure out what license I need for Windows7 in order to run the same instance both on HW and in a VM. Apparently it's not an OEM license ;)

NB Yes, I'm installing Windows just one single time, I just happen to want to boot it in two different ways.

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Microsoft Link:

Basically one way:

Cover it under Software Assurance

You can enable rights using other methods VDA subscription or CSL subscription, but cost prohibitive.

Link to the SA site:

share|improve this answer
Ah, that's what I feared, I have to upgrade myself to a multi-million-dollar company first, then I can use my computer the way I'd like. Well, well, I already knew that licenses tend to suck. Thanks for helping me find this out. – Magnus Apr 30 '14 at 7:31

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.