I have this Ubuntu Server running in my room and i wanted to use it as an alarm clock, so i decided to make a C++ program for it (i know i could've used cron but meh). The problem is the fact that i can't get any sound to play from my speaker (i had installed Media Player Daemon(MPD) with mpc's interface). When i try to play some music over SSH, using mpc, nothing plays from the server's speaker.
I know that i am probably not furnishing enough info but i can supply more if you ask!
(my mpd is setup to use ALSA)
i have to log as root to use alsa apparently... when i try the first command it works fine, the second tells me: "Unable to find simple control 'PCM, 0" also, i tried this on Headphone, Front, but while using amixer, i noticed that it says that even at 100% these device have 0.0dB....maybe that'S not normal...
answer to your questions:
- i used the the server edition (with LAMP)
- it is not running any X stuff.
- only the services are started when the machine start, i never have to physically logon
- i login using ssh but since it doesn't have X, i cannot use the X argument.
- i did not try this, in fact installing X isn't really an option for me...