Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is it possible to enable the in-place tablet PC input panel on a non-tablet PC?

I have checked the "For tablet pen input, show the Input Panel icon next to the text entry area when possible" checkbox in the options of the Input Panel. Does this not work because pen input is something different than mouse input? I do have a touch screen, but it just emulates a mouse (moving the cursor, pressing the left mouse button and such).

I can get the Input Panel to show manually by starting tabtip.exe and then event the ink works, but I cannot get it to show (itself or it's in-place icon) when I activate text input controls.

Does anyone know what's up?

share|improve this question

There is a little app called floattip.exe I found. Just run this and it fools the input panel into thinking you are using a tablet pen, which makes the icon appear next to text input boxes. Works a treat for most input in Vista. You have to start the input panel before it works, but once running it will hide when you use the cross to close it.

share|improve this answer

Start/All Programs/Accessories/Tablet PC/ Tablet PC Input Panel

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.