Some background information on my current home setup:
- 50" Plasma screen
- X-Box 360
- Playstation 3
- DirecTV HD-DVR
- One unused Dell XPS (Pentium P4 3ghz, 2gb RAM)
- One self-built desktop PC (Core 2 Quad 2.94ghz, 4gb RAM, 2x500gb hard drives) - This computer also has an ATI TV Wonder tuner which I used when I had cable
- One small desktop pc (Pentium P4 2ghz, 512mb RAM) that is located in living room and is currently outputting video to the plasma screen
- 2x Toshiba laptops (AMD Dual cores, 2 and 3gb RAM)
- 4 Western Digital External Hard Drives (2x 500, 2x 320) currently attached to the Quad core pc)
What I am looking for is the best way (if any) of integrating my DirecTV DVR into my home network. I think the most obvious use would be to somehow backup my recorded video (and possibly free up the space on the DVR for more content).
I am open to nearly all suggestions (preferably legal ones). I guess you could already go wild with the other equipment as well (I already use my XBox for a lot of video streaming), so have fun and be creative with it.
I am not going to make it CW because this (I believe) is a real question with some real possibilities for my home setup. I have always thought the DVR was pretty strange sitting outside my network like it was and I would like to include it in my little electronic family here.