Sign up ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I just bought a new HP Pavilion dv7t Quad Edition laptop that has HDMI out. I already have a couple of monitors that are VGA and I'd like to hook up one of these to dual monitors. I've read some sketchy reviews of products that try to convert directly from HDMI (digital) to VGA (analog), so I was wondering if someone has a good recommendation on how to hook these two together.

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

you can hook up any VGA monitor to a HDMI port with such a cable:

alt text

share|improve this answer
I know that I can use a cable, but is it good enough or would I need a conversion box. See product reviews at:… – Trent Nov 29 '09 at 16:22
what about scaling? – Trent Nov 29 '09 at 16:26
this one says it all: "People seem to be buying this item expecting it to be VGA to HDMI, or bi-directional. This was made to send the video from your HDMI source, to your VGA display." of course such a cable does not convert a VGA signal to HDMI, but that is not what you want anyway. so don't worry, a VGA monitor works just fine on a HDMI output. – Molly7244 Nov 29 '09 at 17:51
It looks like you might need something like this because even if you are doing HDMI source -> to VGA monitor, you might still run into the "protection" decoding that the site referenced describes. That cable runs about $130. – bobobobo Sep 20 '10 at 21:28
That 'cable' above needs to be more than just a cable. Somewhere in it is not just a bit of copper but an active conversion chip which understands the digital HDMI signal and outputs it via a DAC. That means it is not a "cable" at all, even though it looks like one, – Hennes Mar 18 at 20:23

As you are confused how to fix up these two together the best way out is to use a VGA to HDMI Converter

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.