I've had my Logitech MX Revolution for several years now, and I still like it a lot. However, when I first installed the software that came with it, Logitech's drivers required Application Enhancer (APE, which I don't want), and they kind of sucked anyway. They were glitchy and not particularly user-friendly or Mac-like.
I looked around for third-party drivers, and pretty much the best thing I found was SteerMouse, which isn't any more Mac-like than Logitech's, and is semi-poorly translated from Japanese, but is more flexible and doesn't require APE. However, it's not free.
In the time since then, I've just been using Mac OS X's default mouse drivers, but that doesn't allow me to use the nice features of the mouse like the forward/back buttons, thumb wheel, horizontal scrolling speed adjustment, auto-activation of the free-spinning scroll wheel, etc. So, now I've brought the question here: what good, free Logitech-compatible mouse drivers/software exist for Mac OS X?
- Forward/back button settings (it's really nice to adjust these just by setting keyboard shortcut equivalents, like Logitech's software allowed)
- Horizontal scrolling speed adjustment
- Application-specific settings (I loved being able to have the forward/back buttons do relevant things in each application)
- Nothing too hacky, glitchy, or ugly!
- Free! (otherwise I'll just continue being cheap and using the built-in drivers!)
Things that would be nice, but I'll live without:
- Awareness of the mouse's free-spinning scroll capabilities, and auto-activation
- Support for the thumb wheel/button
- Support for the top "search" button