I follow the steps outlined here but set Chrome instead of Internet Explorer. If I close all browser windows, Chrome and IE, the changes are reverted and IE becomes the default browser. I am the only user logged in.
Can I detect what process changes these settings?
Steps to change default browser:
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Search.)
- Enter Default programs, and then tap or click Default Programs.
- Tap or click Set your default programs.
- Select Internet Explorer from the list of programs.
- Tap or click Set this program as default, and then tap or click OK.
Edit 1: @Kamal - I disabled my McAfee HIPS and AV and something else keeps changing my default browser.
Edit 2: I used Process Monitor to track changes in
HKLM\Software\Classes\.html and other file extensions but no events are registered. Whatever is changing my default browser does not use this mechanism.
Then I started monitoring the
Control Panel >> Default Programs >> Set Default Programs control dialog and forced changes in default browser (from/to IE/Chrome) and captured tons of registry queries and updates, all done by