Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I occasionally get an Audio CD from our weekly recordings that hasn't been finalized (someone forgot before ejecting the disk from our standalone CD recorder).

Under Windows, this wasn't too much of a hassle. IsoBuster could read it and extract the audio track data despite the fact that it was not finalized.

What I'd like is that functionality but under OS X.

Any ideas if this is doable...? I can dd the disk but I'm not sure what I'm getting and how I'd have to format/convert this data to make it readable.

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

I don't believe dd is capable of bypassing the driver, which is what you'd need to do in order to copy anything off of a broken filesystem. One of the data recovery apps out there might be able to help you, but I have no idea if any of them support Redbook audio CDs.

share|improve this answer
I resorted to my dusty copy of Windows XP with IsoBuster. There's probably some comparable OS X (non-free) utilities but I didn't want to shell out anything else. – Andrew Flanagan Dec 4 '09 at 16:01

Have you tried looking at it with Disk Utility? It might be able to mount the partition, or close the disc.

share|improve this answer
It says that it can't be initialized when the disc is first inserted. It does not mount under Disk Utility and I can't see any options to close out or finalize through Disk Utility. – Andrew Flanagan Dec 1 '09 at 0:09
What if you use a disc burning software like Toast? (get a trial to test) – Traveling Tech Guy Dec 1 '09 at 1:27

cmd-opt-i is supposed to force mount ISO-9660 partitions of a CD when it first spins up. Or just opt is supposed to show each session on a CD.

What kind of burner? Alesis?

share|improve this answer
An audio CD generally has no partitions, ISO-9660 or otherwise. – Hasaan Chop Dec 1 '09 at 5:47

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.