My wife was having dinner in front of (on top of) the laptop and she spilled some soup onto it, right above the touchpad. Almost all of the soup ended up in the upper DIMM slot which sits underneath the keyboard.
I took the laptop apart and I've managed to clean and dry everything other than the internals of the DIMM slot. The slot has a dense, comb-like structure of pins which holds the greasy water in, and I cannot disassemble the DIMM slot in order to clean it thoroughly.
When I turn on the laptop it detects all available RAM and it works normally for about 15-20 minutes, after which it turns off. When I try to turn it on again it emits 1-3-3-1 beeps which means "Bad DIMM or DIMM slot". If I then take out DIMM chips, wipe them and clean the slot with a toothbrush it works again for a short time. I suspect that when the laptop heats up the grease in the DIMM slot melts a bit and short-circuits some pins inside.
I was wondering would it work if I used WD-40 with a straw to fill the DIMM slot, and then dry it with paper towels and a fan? The WD-40 should dissolve the grease and it dries faster than water, I'm just not sure whether after drying it leaves any conductive residues which would cause a short circuit inside the slot. Or is there something else I can try? Any thoughts and ideas are appreciated.