I just bought a 16GB (4x4GB) set of CML16GX3M4A1600C9B RAM for my system, upgrading from an older 8GB (4x2GB) set that's currently in the system.
Before purchasing, I checked the manual for my Gigabyte H55M-UD2H motherboard, which showed that it takes 16GB max. The notes say that 1666MHz is the maximum for an i3, which is fine as this is 1600MHz. Using Corsair's memory finder tool, I looked up my motherboard and it found the RAM above as compatible. I also made sure that my BIOS was up to date (F11 release) and that I'd done a full round of Windows Updates just to get myself in position for the upgrade.
I bought the RAM, installed it, and found that Windows immediately BSoD'ed at boot. I launched into Memtest86+ (latest version as of last week) and it hung at exactly 26% into test 2. It had properly detected all of the DIMMs with the correct name and latencies, so I figured the RAM was probably dead. It did confuse me a little though, as RAM tends to show up with errors rather than just hard-locking the test. Furthermore, the little red + logo at the top of the screen continued to flash. Despite this none of the interface worked (Esc / C / SP / CR keys).
I tried with individual sticks and got the same issue. I checked the BIOS and the voltage was correctly set to 1.5V, XMP was set to normal (no OC profile), and the clock and timings were all set correctly too.
Installing the old RAM (CMX4G3M2A1600C9) again worked fine, and my system was back up and running just as it was prior to the upgrade, with no issues.
I sent the first set back on an RMA and got a new set, and these are also exhibiting the same problems. Memtest86+ locks up exactly at the 26% mark on test #2, and trying to boot into Windows just gives me a BSoD.
Any idea what's causing this problem, or how I can diagnose it further?
- Gigabyte H55M-UD2H
- Intel Core i3 530 @ 2.93GHz (CPUID 20652, rev9)
- nVidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST
- 700W OCZ PSU
Info from BIOS:
- BCLK: 133.38MHz
- QPI Frequency: 5868MHz (44X)
- Memory Frequency: 1333MHz (10X)
- Ratio: 22
- Freq: 2394
- Temp: ~43C
- Slots: 4096 / 4096 / 4096 / 4096
- Total: 16384
- Channel A: 9-9-9-24, tRRD=4, tWTP=21, tRFC=174, tCMD=3
- Channel B: 9-9-9-24, tRRD=4, tWTP=21, tRFC=174, tCMD=3
- XMP: Disabled
- Performance Enhance: Standard
- Cores Enabled: ALL
- Multi-Threading: Enabled
- CPU C1E: Auto
- CPU C3/C6 State: Auto
- CPU EIST Function: Auto
- Bi-Directional PROCHOT: Auto
- CPU Clock Drive: 700mV [Normal]
- PCI Express Clock Drive: 700mV [Normal]
- CPU Vcore: 1.21250V (Auto)
- QPI/Vtt: 1.100V (Auto)
- Graphics Core: 1.000V (Auto)
- PCH Core: 1.050V (Auto)
- CPU PLL: 1.800V (Auto)
- DRAM Voltage: 1.500V (Auto)
- DRAM Termination: 0.750V (Auto)
- Ch-A Data Vref: 0.750V (Auto)
- Ch-B Data Vref: 0.750V (Auto)
- Ch-A Address Vref: 0.750V (Auto)
- Ch-B Address Vref: 0.750V (Auto)
Note: As I was writing this, I had a few cases of the BIOS freezing up on me too.