I'm helping a friend that can't connect to the internet through a hard wired connection or through wireless. It's a laptop, that usually connected fine through both.
The error is that the WiFi bars have a red X. If you click on it, it says "Not Connected. No Connections are available"
It's a windows 7 OS machine. Here are the steps I have tried:
- Made sure hardware switches are turned ON on the side of the laptop (no switches found)
- Pressed the toggle on the keyboard to make sure it wasn't accidentally turned off (toggle didn't seem to toggle anything)
- Checked Device Manager for yellow exclamation points (none found)
- Clicked WiFi bars in System Tray, then "Troubleshoot" then got the message: An unexpected error has occurred. The troubleshooting wizard can't continue.
- Went to network adapters. LAN and WiFi say Unplugged and Not connected
- Tried disabling and re-enabling WiFi adapter (still doesn't work)
- In network adapters pressed "Diagnose", got: An error occurred while loading the troubleshooter
sfc /scannowfrom elevated Command Prompt. After a certain % it stopped and said: Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation
chkdsk /r, pressed
enter, then restarted computer. Let Chkdsk run for a few hours, came back to find Windows at the login screen.
sfc /scannowagain. Same error as before.
- Uninstalled both network adapters, pressed Action > Scan For Hardware Changes. Still doesn't work
I'm out of ideas. What else could this be.
EDIT (for bounty) I keep trying the same things as listed above, hoping something will just magically work, but it's proven unsuccessful. I've done everything I could possibly think of. I know the best solution would be "Just reinstall Windows", but right now that's not a possibility.