I'm helping a friend that can't connect to the internet through a hard wired connection or through wireless. It's a laptop, that usually connected fine through both.
The error is that the WiFi bars have a red X. If you click on it, it says "Not Connected. No Connections are available"
It's a windows 7 OS machine. Here are the steps I went through, would appreciate any other help:
- Make sure that hardware switches are turned ON on the side of the laptop (no switches found)
- Press the toggle on the keyboard to make sure it wasn't accidentally turned off (toggle didn't seem to toggle anything)
- Check device manager to see if any yellow exclamation points are present (no)
- After clicking the WiFi bars, then "Troubleshoot" (An unexpected error has occurred. The troubleshooting wizard can't continue)
- Go to network adapters (LAN and WiFi say "unplugged" and "not connected") Tried disabling WiFi adapter and reenabling. (Still doesn't work)
- In network adapters pressed "diagnose" ("An error occured while loading the troubleshooter")
- Go to cmd prompt as admin. Run "sfc /scannow" (after a certain % it stops and said "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation"
- Run "chkdsk /r", pressed y, then enter, then restart computer. Chkdsk is running. Walk away from computer for a few hours, come back to windows login screen.
- Try "sfc /scannow" again. No change.
- Uninstall both network adapters, press Action > Scan For Hardware Changes. Still doesn't work
I'm out of ideas. What else could this be.
EDIT (for bounty) I keep trying the same things as listed above, hoping something will just magically work, but it's proven unsuccessful. I've done everything I could possibly think of. I know the best solution would be "Just reinstall Windows", but right now that's not a possibility.