Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I work for someone who has recently had their web server hacked and had a bunch of text added to their sites without their knowledge. I'm looking for a service that alerts you when your pages change. A cursory Google search yields a bunch of options, but I was looking for something that is reliable, need not be free or instantaneous, but is just solid. Any suggestions?

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

Some Links:

You could also try Website Watcher or ChangeDetection or Watch That Page

I think one of those tools should be just what you are after.

Credit to GHacks.NET which is where I lifted these links from.

share|improve this answer

How about coding the website and throwing it into a git or subversion repository? That way you can easily compare changes between versions. If you are just looking for simple notification of changes and you're comfortable with the command line, check out tar. You can back up the site folder like this for example:

tar czvf site.tar.gz /var/www/public_html

then periodically check for differences (you could even automate it with cron):

tar dvf site.tar.gz

if you want details on the changes, you can uncompress your original copy and diff the two.

share|improve this answer
That's a good idea, but truthfully I don't have full access to the server. And also, I don't want the hassle of remembering to check every day. I need to be notified of it automatically. I could set up a chron job or something, truthfully, but I don't know how I'd notify myself. –  daveslab Dec 7 '09 at 2:16
check out this question: superuser.com/questions/38654/… –  John T Dec 7 '09 at 2:29

Here is an overview of some page tracking tools: http://extract-web-data.com/web-page-change-tracking/

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.