Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm using GNU GPG. I want to replace my old keypair with a new one, and I have a couple of specific questions as I haven't done this before!

My keyring currently contains both the new and old keypairs.

I think I need to sign the new key with the old, to prove that it's actually mine:

gpg --default-key <old> --sign-key <new>

And then push the new key to the MIT keyserver (which currently contains my old key):

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --send-key <new>

What would the commands be to revoke the old key, and push that to the keyserver?

I've been told I should create a 'revocation certificate' immediately for my new key. What is this for? Is there a command to do this with gpg?

Many thanks for any help!

share|improve this question

migrated from crypto.stackexchange.com Aug 3 '14 at 1:02

This question came from our site for software developers, mathematicians and others interested in cryptography.

This question appears to be off-topic according to our help center: “If your question is about usage of a specific cryptographic software (not its cryptographic internals), Super User is the right site.” (I’ve flagged for moderator attention with an according migration request.) –  e-sushi Jul 20 '14 at 19:38

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.