This question is inspired by another SU question I came across earlier today: What to do with old hard drives? It made me think about two long-dead laptops I have with perfectly good screens still inside. One is a Dell Inspiron 5100 and the other is an Averatec E1200, but responses need not be geared towards those particular models' screens.
Rules, based heavily on the original question's:
Objectives and suggestions to keep in mind when you post an answer :
- Should showcase your geekiness, be plain ol' fun, serve a social purpose or benefit the community.
- Your answer need not be limited to only one screen. For a really good answer, I'll go out and buy additional leftover screens.
- Your answer need not be limited to one project per screen.
- If additional accessories need be purchased, make sure they are common. Don't tell me to get a moon rock or something.
- The projects you suggested should serve a useful purpose; art is nice, but functional art is way better.
Thanks in advance, folks.
EDIT: Found another related question. Fun projects to do with an old 17" LCD monitor
EDIT 2: I, for one, am enjoying the new outpouring of creativity here. Best fifty bucks... I mean, rep points... I ever spent.
EDIT 3: That does it. At the end of the week, there was a tie for most votes between the accepted answer and the game platform answer. The game platform answer was cooler, but less reasonable as a project to actually do; in other words, it was more moon rocky. Unfortunately, I think fencepost had the best comment on the topic, which is that displays on their own have no good interface. Thanks for playing, everyone!