Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've seen these shaded, labelled regions on people's XP Desktops, used to group icons - in cases where the background is otherwise just a plain colour. How can I get these?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

By using Fences from Stardock

From the site:

Fences is a one-of-a-kind program, allowing you to draw labeled shaded areas on your desktop, which become movable & resizable containers for your desktop icons. These groups can help bring organization and consistency to your computer's desktop, solving the "constant mess" problem that has plagued the desktop since its inception.

Fences also helps you finally appreciate the wallpaper you have hiding behind all that clutter. In addition to its organizing features, Fences offers a patent-pending quick-hide feature. Double click your desktop, and all your icons will fade out. Double click again, and they'll return.

This image is for Vista, but it works on XP as well.

alt text

share|improve this answer
Cool upvoted definitely have to check this out. Better then my 'custom wallpaper' lol – MrStatic Dec 11 '09 at 10:54
That's it! Thanks. – ttIla Dec 11 '09 at 11:02

You must log in to answer this question.