I recently purchased a new computer and a new flat-panel monitor from Dell. Everything worked perfectly if I used the supplied analog monitor cable. Since both the monitor and the graphics card supported HDMI, I purchased a 6' Dynex HDMI cable and connected that (disconnecting the analog cable, and with the system turned off).
Everything worked fine at first - it auto-detected the change. After a few minutes I noticed the screen would go black for a second or so, then come back on. These dropouts kept happening. Reconnecting and rebooting made no difference. I switched back to analog, and it's been working perfectly.
What are the most likely causes of this, and how can I diagnose the problem?
- Display adapter: ATI Radeon HD 3450 256MB
- Monitor: Dell ST2210 Widescreen Flat Panel (1920 x 1080)
- Cable: Dynex (Best Buy) 6 foot HDMI digital A/V
- Computer: Dell Inspiron, Intel Core 2 Duo
- OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit