Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is there a plugin that can let Photoshop use a HSL color picker, rather than HSV (which Adobe calls HSB)?

In other words, any/all of the following locations could have an HSL option:

alt text

Or perhaps a plugin with it's own color picker.


     RGB             HSL         HSV (aka HSB)
=============  ===============  ================
(1,   0, 0  )  (  0°, 1, 0.5 )  (  0°, 1,   1  )   
(0.5, 1, 0.5)  (120°, 1, 0.75)  (120°, 0.5, 1  )   
(0,   0, 0.5)  (240°, 1, 0.25)  (240°, 1,   0.5)   
share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 5 down vote accepted

There is a plugin called HSBHSL provided by Adobe Photoshop itself. Hope that solve your problem.

HSBHSL The "HSL&HSB" plug-in allows conversion between RGB and HSL (Hue, Saturation, and Lightness) and between RGB and HSB (Hue, Saturation, and Brightness) within Photoshop. This plug-in also allows you to change the Hue, Saturation, or Luminosity of an image as independent channels. Or, to change HSL/HSB using channel operations (calculations).

Download here: Adobe Photoshop Optional Plugins

share|improve this answer
The package of plugins you linked doesn't seem to actually contain the HSBHSL plugin; even though the web-site says it does. But i can't really blame you for Adobe's lies. Accepted. –  Ian Boyd Jan 22 '11 at 23:56
This should not be the accepted answer. This plugin only allows you to view the HSL channel in the Channels panel, and doesn't alter any of the color pickers. –  Scott Rippey May 7 '13 at 17:41

Photoshop uses both HSB and HSL according to this: http://www.worldlingo.com/ma/enwiki/en/HSL_and_HSV#Comparison_of_HSL_and_HSV

Maybe it's that "L" field on the right side? ;)

share|improve this answer
This is not correct. The site you linked to specifically says that Photoshop uses "HSL for image color adjustment", which is a separate portion of the application than those demonstrated in the question. And it's definitely not "that 'L' field on the right side". That does stand for "Lightness", but in the Lab color space, which is very different from HSL. –  Cody Gray Jan 7 '11 at 14:36

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.