I'm a .Net developer who also loves playing the latest computer games. My current rig has lasted me well but it's time to upgrade the old girl to something faster. As I see it, my two options for upgrading are:
- Upgrading my CPU and keeping my MoBo + RAM; or
- Upgrading to an i5/i7 and getting a new Mobo + RAM as well.
I'm leaning towards option 1 just to get full usage over my current infrastructure, but I'm unsure what the limits of my MoBo are? I've got 3 Gigs of RAM and I'm OK with that. My current specs are (from CPU-Z):
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.13Ghz (Conroe 65nm) (Socket 775 LGA)
- MotherBoard: Foxconn 965X7AA
- Chipset: [Northbridge] Intel P965/G965 rev. C2 [Southbridge] Intel 82801HB/HR (ICH8/R) rev. B0
So, please help me work out what's the fastest/most powerful CPU I can put in this? Can I go Quad? I've just got no idea.
As an example of what I'm looking for.. could I upgrade to either of these?
thanks in advance!
PS I'm sorry if I missed out a stat you needed to work this out.. if asked I can provide any CPU-Z stat.