Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to send message or something to computer that i connected to it by it's wireless router.

How to do that ?

note: I've windows vista 64Bit

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

If you can see the other computer, you may use the Net Send Command :

net send name_of_user_or_computer message_text


In Vista or Windows 7, the "net send" command can be replaced by msg.exe:

msg * /server:other-computer "message_text"

See this article: MSG.EXE replaces Net Send in Windows Vista.

share|improve this answer
that sucks that it doesn't work with vista or windows 7... – mike Dec 20 '09 at 6:29
i think its cool as hell though... – mike Dec 20 '09 at 6:33
I never tried it in Vista/Win7 so didn't notice it got phased out. See my edit for an alternative. – harrymc Dec 20 '09 at 9:04
I Can't see the other computer. I just can use it's router to connect to inter net. He forgot to set security on his wireless router. – Wahid Bitar Dec 20 '09 at 13:07
Once you connect to his network, regard your IP via "ipconfig". If it is something like 192.168.0.X then the router is in You might try to ping him at lower numbers like etc. msg also works with IP addresses. – harrymc Dec 20 '09 at 15:14

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.