Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I used gparted to resize two partitions on a Windows XP machine, however something went wrong, and now Windows can not recognize the partition format of the first partition (the one containing Windows), however it boots fine, and I am able to browse the data on the partition, and it seems to have the right size as well. However I fear that sooner or later this will result in some nasty problems and possibly data loss.

Is there a simple way to recover from these problems, and leave the computer in a more stable state? I am looking for some kind of tool that can recover the partition.

share|improve this question

migrated from Dec 20 '09 at 21:37

This question came from our site for professional and enthusiast programmers.

You should probably use SuperUser for this instead of SO. – Dav on a Plane Dec 20 '09 at 21:16
Yeah, just realised that, I see there is a migrate function available, but can't find it. – zpon Dec 20 '09 at 21:23
up vote 0 down vote accepted

I believe you need to apply the latest service pack for Windows XP. You are probably using a later version of the filesystem on the other partition.

share|improve this answer
That could very well be, I will give it a shot tomorrow, when I see it, its a family members computer. – zpon Dec 20 '09 at 21:44

I would reinstall the computer and repartition it during installation. Never use a non-stable computer if a data lose occur - it doesn't the worth the time it take to install a new machine now...

share|improve this answer
  1. Backup everything
  2. Test the backup works!
  3. Copy the backup somewhere
  4. Test the second backup worked!
  5. Re-partition & Reformat
  6. Recover the backup
share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.