I got an annoying problem with my external Iomega Desktop USB hard drive.
The entire hard drive is encrypted via TrueCrypt. So I am mounting the drive via TrueCrypt after connecting it to USB. That works fine for a couple of hours and I can access my data, e.g. I can use WinAmp to listen to my music stored on the drive. However, suddenly WinAmp stops playing and the drive is dismounted from TrueCrypt. Additionally, "USB Safety Removal" doesn't list the hard drive anymore. It's obviously disconnected from the computer. It's not turned off, though. Switching the drive off and on brings it back and I can mount it again. That happens totally randomly. Sometimes it doesn't happen the entire day but I've also recognized it about 3 times a day (with couple of hours in between).
Some facts about the environment:
- I am running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
- the hard drive is a Iomega Desktop USB 1.5 TB external hard drive
- USB 2 drivers are in place
- USB selective suspend is turned off
- computer's power options are set to maximum power
- might be interesting: I bought the hard drive in the US and use it in Europe now
Does anybody know what the problem might be?