Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I would like to use the function key and page up/page down to control the volume on my laptop. There is a touch panel at the top that controls it, but it has worn out a bit and isn't responsive. How do I configure this?

I own a Dell Inspiron 1525 (with Win7Pro)


Answer: Using AutoHotKey, here is the script I wrote (with Windows key)

#PgUp::Send {Volume_Up 3}
#PgDn::Send {Volume_Down 3}
share|improve this question
Laptop function key behavior is very closely tied to the manufacturer of the laptop. Please provide more information about the make and model of the specific laptop. – Doug Harris Dec 21 '09 at 17:36
+1 for eleven81's Autohotkey solution. You might like volumouse. . It uses the scroll pad and a modifier to change volume. Doesn't accept the fn key you want, but any other modifier+scroll or WIN+ARROW. Works great on my 1525. – outsideblasts Dec 21 '09 at 19:48
To provide an example why Doug Harris's question is relevant: I tried using the FN key on my laptop but the OS never got any events when pressing the key (key down events), only when releasing it (key up events) which made the thing rather useless for almost anything, especially modifier-like. I guess it was almost completely handled by hardware. – GregC Dec 22 '09 at 6:27
up vote 1 down vote accepted

You could try AutoHotkey.

There is some information about special keys like your (unspecified) laptop's Fn key.

share|improve this answer
I ended up using my Windows Key instead. Thanks – eqzx Dec 21 '09 at 20:18

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .