I'm sold on SATA SSDs for my next PC but since their prices grow un-proportionally to their size, I'm wondering what would be the best configuration for them (for OS and Programs) would be:
- 2 SSDs using:
- on-board RAID0
- dedicated RAID controller for RAID0
- software RAID0
- 2 or 3 SSDs using one of the above controllers but as a JBOD
- 3 SSDs in one of the above configurations using RAID5
- 1 SSD for OS + 1 SSD for Programs
- the above option and with %UserProfile% on a separate drive too
- 1 large SSD for both OS and Programs
- one of the above options and use SATA3 controller
- something else I haven't thought of
The OS would be x64 Windows 7 (and/or Ubuntu). Larger media files like audio/video would be located on a different drive when not being processed.
I plan on using the new PC for: gaming, transcoding HD video (m2ts), web development, watching movies.