Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have 2 PC, one using Linux and another using Windows7. I want to use both display cards with the windows machine.

I cannot find such virtual device for windows. So, since it is possible to run X programs on the Linux machine using its own X-server, how can I use a remote keyboard and mouse,which is owned by the windows machine, to operate the X-server?

Of course the operation should be switchable between by some combined-keys.

(Just because I have place for 2 LCD, but no place for 2 keyboard & mouse. I know dual-display, and I am using my laptop to connect one of the LCD.)

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

The first thing that comes to mind is remote access software such as VNC. You could also set up X forwarding and display the apps locally.

If you are willing to use an entire display dedicated to the Linux box, Synergy may be for you.

Synergy lets you easily share your mouse and keyboard between multiple computers on your desk, and it's Free and Open Source. Just move your mouse off the edge of one computer's screen on to another. You can even share all of your clipboards. All you need is a network connection. Synergy is cross-platform (works on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux).

alt text

share|improve this answer
About X forwarding, I think the X-server will be operated only from where the X-server runs, NOT where the display exported from. So it is not for my situation. Synergy+ is what I miss. Thanks. – Galaxy Jan 19 '10 at 18:44
Yeah I was a little confused on the question, hopefully one of the solutions suits your needs :) – John T Jan 19 '10 at 18:46
+1 for Synergy, it's great – marto Dec 15 '11 at 8:17

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.