Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is it possible to rotate a Text Box in Word 2007 by, say, 180 degrees?

I'd rather not have to convert the text to an image.

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Word has no built-in function to invert text, to rotate it by 180 degrees or produce mirror imaged text. A simple solution is to select the text and its box and copy to the clipboard then paste into a graphics application, such as Windows Paint. There, there are tools to flip or rotate the text according to requirements. The downside is that the text becomes no longer editable. This approach should work in all Word versions.

Source & Illustrations

Other than that, use PowerPoint or Publisher, there it's quite easy :)

share|improve this answer
Thanks Molly - I'm trying to avoid converting to a picture for quality reasons. A better solution (although a bit more fiddly) seems to be to zoom in first, press Print Scrn, then paste into Paint as you suggest. – Dunc Jan 22 '10 at 15:14
@RaceFace - well, with word 2010 you'll have it your way ... soon :) – Molly7244 Jan 22 '10 at 15:51

Sorry no, however this feature was added in Word 2010. In 2010 and above it is available in the section Format > Arrange > Rotate or via the rotation adorner.

Word 2010

And what the symbol looks like in Word 2016

Word 2016

share|improve this answer
Thanks Jay, I'll give it a go: – Dunc Jan 22 '10 at 15:18
For anyone using a file created with an older version of Word, I had to Save the document and break compatibility with older versions to show up. Only took them 13 versions to be able to rotate text. Woo! – RishiD Jul 29 '12 at 16:24

There is an official way recommended by Microsoft to rotate text boxes in versions before Microsoft Office 2010.

  1. Select text box.
  2. Press Ctrl+X (cut)
  3. Select "Paste Special", then paste as PNG.
  4. Now you can rotate it like a picture (because now it is converted into an image.)

enter image description here

Now you can rotate it by dragging the green dot.

Changing it into PNG is the only way to rotate text boxes. (By changing text direction you cannot precisely define the degree of rotation.)

share|improve this answer

After adding your text box, keep your eye on the top of the tool bar. You'll have a transient pull-down called "TextBox Tools". Click that, and look for the "Text Direction" button (top left corner in my case).

Do note - this doesn't work with all fonts. I was going nuts trying to get this done with Courier, which didn't work. Finally realized it worked with Calibiri, so I used that instead.

share|improve this answer

You can use your smartart options in INSERT tab to invert text in MS WORD 2007. Select Insert Tab. Click on SMARTART option. Type text. Using rotate icon (green colored icon) rotate the text to invert.

share|improve this answer

Open the text box and Rotate it manually, and stop just before 180°.(At 180° direction of text will change to normal)

share|improve this answer

you can rotate the text in excel 2007 by selecting insert>shapes>text box, write text in text box and then you can rotate the text box from 0 to 360 degrees.If don't require the text box border select text box>format>shape outline>select white color. select text box copy and paste in word 2007

share|improve this answer
Please read the previous answers before posting. There are much better answers posted (and accepted) long ago, so your answer doesn't really contribute anything. – Dave Becker Oct 5 '14 at 16:18

If I need to rotate a text box, I insert a rectangle, right mouse click and choose add text. Then, I can not only rotate the rectangle shape, I can change the orientation of the text.

share|improve this answer
Unfortunately rotating the rectangle doesn't change the text orientation, and using the 'Text Direction' button only rotates 90 degrees each way - not the full 180 degrees. – Dunc Jul 4 '11 at 9:59

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .