Portable software for USB, portable and cloud drives.
A portable application (portable app) is a computer program designed to run independently from an operating system. This type of application can be stored on a removable storage device such as a CD, USB flash drive, flash card, or floppy disk – storing its program files, configuration information and data on the storage medium alone.
- software created with Thinstall isn't considered as portable
- software that needs .NET Framework isn't considered as portable
Repositories and sources
PortableApps.com is the world's most popular portable software solution allowing you to take your favorite software with you. A fully open source and free platform, it works on any portable storage device (USB flash drive, iPod, memory card, portable hard drive, etc).
PortableFreeware.com only lists software which fulfills all following criterias
- It must run without installation.
- It must run on older versions of Windows which might not have been updated.
- It must not have any coupling with Internet Explorer, audio/video codecs, DirectX etc.
- It must not write settings to the registry or local filesystem.
- It must not leave any trace on the host machine at all, even when the app crashes
- It must run with guest access rights.
- It must be able to compensate for USB memory stick drive letter changes.