Use this tag for questions about the system startup sequence after the OS' kernel is loaded. Contrast with boot, which covers what happens before the kernel is loaded.
While the details vary greatly from OS to OS, the typical sequence goes like this:
- The kernel initializes drivers and mounts the root partition.
- The kernel runs the initialization program, which triggers subsequent stages.
- Startup-time setup is performed, such as mounting filesystems other than root, configuring some hardware devices, bringing up the network, etc.
- Services/Daemons are started for network services, logging and monitoring, etc.
- Login prompts are shown on the console.