Windows Server 2008 is a Microsoft Server Operating System released in February 2008. It is the successor to Windows Server 2003 and is based on the Windows Vista codebase. It was succeeded by Windows Server 2008 R2.
Windows Server 2008 Introduced the following new features:
- Server Core installation
- Read Only Domain Controllers
It is available in the following editions:
- Windows Server 2008 Standard (x86 and x86-64)
- Windows Server 2008 Enterprise (x86 and x86-64)
- Windows Server 2008 Datacenter (x86 and x86-64)
- Windows HPC Server 2008
- Windows Web Server 2008 (x86 and x86-64)
- Windows Storage Server 2008 (x86 and x86-64)
- Windows Small Business Server 2008 (x86-64)
- Windows Essential Business Server 2008 (x86-64)
- Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-based Systems
- Windows Server 2008 Foundation
Server 2008 is the last 32-bit Windows Server version Microsoft plans to release.