224 reputation
312
bio website thunderguy.com/semicolon
location Auckland, New Zealand
age
visits member for 4 years, 4 months
seen Nov 11 at 22:19

Twitter: @bnnt
UX Consultant with a focus on front-end web technologies such as HTML, CSS and JavaScript. Also very big on Java and PHP with dollops of other technologies thrown in. But all this technical wizardry is worthless if nobody wants to use the application -- hence the UX angle.


Sep
24
awarded  Autobiographer
Sep
3
revised How can I install PHPmyadmin on Mac Lion using Homebrew
Updated URL and command thanks to @nerdess
Sep
3
awarded  Nice Answer
Sep
3
awarded  Yearling
Aug
20
comment Why is the total memory usage reported by Windows Task Manager much higher than the sum of all processes' memory usage?
That terminology, where memory is "used" even though no program is using it, is quite unlike the normal meaning of words like "used" and "free" -- perhaps it's Microsoft's terminology, not yours. Anyway, suppose for example that 50% of RAM is currently used by running programs, and 25% is not used by any running program but contains data that might be useful in the future but can also be discarded. Adding those together and displaying "Memory: 75%" conveys no useful information to the user. I think that's where the widespread confusion comes from.
Aug
20
comment Why is the total memory usage reported by Windows Task Manager much higher than the sum of all processes' memory usage?
-1 because after reading the answer and all the comments, it still isn't clear why total used memory is much higher than the memory used by all listed processes.
Aug
11
awarded  Commentator
Aug
11
comment How to print list of icons from Mac Finder?
+1 for "Paste and Match Style" - thanks!
Jul
15
awarded  Editor
Jul
15
awarded  Scholar
Jul
15
revised Apache won't follow symlinks even with permissions set
Fix case of "-Z"
Jul
15
accepted Apache won't follow symlinks even with permissions set
Jul
10
answered Apache won't follow symlinks even with permissions set
Jul
8
comment Apache won't follow symlinks even with permissions set
I'm sure I could use an Alias to do this, but for me a symlinks is clearer and more transparent - a simple ls -l will tell you where files are being serves from, rather than having to go looking through httpd.conf. Also I just wanted to know why the symlink doesn't work! :)
Jul
8
comment Apache won't follow symlinks even with permissions set
it appears that SELinux is enabled (getenforce results in Enforcing). I will have to do some experimenting to see if that's the cause.
Jul
8
comment Apache won't follow symlinks even with permissions set
After further experimentation, I suspect the problem is to do with some sort of permission problem on the /tmp/hello file. But I still don't understand the details.
Jul
8
comment Apache won't follow symlinks even with permissions set
FollowSymLinks is set in a <Directory> block. Note that Apache does follow the link-local symlink, but not the link-tmp symlink in the same directory.
Jul
8
awarded  Student
Jul
8
asked Apache won't follow symlinks even with permissions set
May
4
awarded  Caucus