(Windows 7 64-bit, Office 2010 32-bit, a lot of free HDD space).
I had my Outlook 2010 set up according to my habits and it worked for years, but a couple of weeks ago some of the settings have started being reset on each application start. I change them every day, but the next day or the next reboot they have their default values again.
- The "Favorites" pane on the left is opened. I hide it, next time it appears again.
- The To-Do Bar on the right is opened. I hide it via the View tab, next time it appears again.
- When I create a new mail message or reply to a message, the font is default "Calibri", for reply it has an ugly bluish color. I change the font and color in Options > Mail > Stationery and fonts, next time it's Calibri again.
- When I open a message and click Reply in the message window, a reply message window appears and the original message remains open. I click the Options > Mail > Replies and forwads > Close original message checkbox, next time it's unchecked again.
Also, my custom ribbon tab has disappeared. In Options > Customize Ribbon, all lists and drop-downs are empty, so I can't display or create it again.
Interestingly, some other settings are being stored correctly:
- My custom signatures are alive and are being correctly inserted into each message. Now I use them to copy my desired font.
- The customized columns (e.g. I'm displaying the "From" column in "Sent Items") are kept.
- My custom VBScript macros are stored (they should be called from my custom ribbon tab).
What can I do to make the settings work again? It seems like Outlook is unable to store part of the settings, probably some folder has become read-only, but which one? I could reinstall Office, but if something is corrupt on the machine or in the registry, the issue is likely to appear again. And I don't want to format and reinstall the whole system...