I have an issue with my Office 2016 install, which I've installed through my employer's Office 365 subscription on my home PC with Windows 10 Home on it. I've installed the 32-bit version of Office (as recommended by Microsoft), and Windows itself is 64-bit.
The issue is with Word and Excel (possibly other applications as well, I haven't tried). The applications launch just fine, but whenever I try anything that involves opening the "File" menu, the application crashes. This can happen either if I click the "Open other worksheets/documents" link in the lower left corner after a fresh application start, or by pressing the "File" menu from within the application - the result is the same - a message saying that "Microsoft Excel has stopped working", which leads to the application restarting of shutting down.
I have unsuccessfully attempted the following troubleshooting steps so far:
- Attempted to start Excel in Safe Mode, by holding CTRL during startup.
- Run a quick repair of Office.
- Run an online repair of Office.
- Uninstalled, restarted, and re-installed Office.
- Restarted Windows in diagnostic mode using msconfig - Office does not even launch under diagnostic mode.
- Run the OfficeCAT (Configuration Analysis Tool) from Microsoft. It found no issues.
- Renamed the HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Options key, to make Excel re-create it.
- Ensured the latest updates are installed (by manually entering Windows Update settings, ensuring that it's set to get MS application updates as well as Windows Updates, and running a manual check)