The browser doesn't load any pages, whether they are addressed with IP or hostname.
ping google.com doesn't work, returning Ping request could not find host google.com.
ping 184.108.40.206 (google IP) does work, sending and receiving all packets.
nslookup google.com does work, returning correct IP address that then does indeed work with ping.
Network settings are default, IP and DNS are set to auto.
Specifying OpenDNS in network settings does not help.
There are no entries in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\host
There are no DNS prefixes in use.
netsh winsock reset & netsh int ip reset does not help.
DNS client is running.
The most common given solution on the Internet ipconfig /flushdns & ipconfig /registerdns does not work, with latter returning Registration of DNS records failed: Parameter is not correct. It happens occassionally to people, but I have not found possible solutions to this problem. I sense this might be the key to my ordeal.
All of the above happens for different networks.
The PC has been recently formatted. One guy had the same problem and it helped to restore the previous PC name, but I have no way of finding what the name was before the format.
ipconfig /all is as below. The first paragraph looks a bit blank, perhaps something there...?
I just came across this same issue on a Windows 10 Dell tablet that one of my users brought into the office. Same issue, communications via IP work, but name resolution not working (aside from nslookup, oddly that was working fine).
After digging into this for a few minutes I also discovered that the tablet was missing a hostname entry when doing an ipconfig /all (same as shown in your screenshot above), so I went into the System properties and found that there was no computer name set in there. Added a computer name, rebooted, et voila! Name resolution is now working properly.
I had the same problem, but the hostname was present. In addition, running ipconfig /flushdns would hang. Changing the hostname by adding a 2 to the end and then rebooting seems to have fixed the problem.
I've had these symptoms two or three times in the past after installing a new NIC or router, using WinXP and Win7. Solutions varied, but in one case the issue was resolved by unticking the "use NetBIOS over TCP" box. In the other case I remember having to run some unusual command line utility (not ipconfig /flushdns; something else that I don't quite recall) to flush cached somethingsomethingsomething.
One thing I'd check is whether local (LAN side) hostnames resolve ok. If it's only WAN side hostnames that don't resolve properly then at least you know the problem is not on your PC.
In my case, I have hyper-v manager installed and has one virtual switch that bridges my NIC with it. Try disabling/removing the virtual switch in hyper-v manager (elevated user needed). This one works for me. Maybe Windows 10 or hyper-v has a buggy virtual switch.
The fact that the computer was recently reformatted could indicate a problem with the drivers for your network adapter(s).
Open "View network connections" and try disabling each adapter one-by-one. After disabling each one, test the DNS and then re-enable it. Perhaps you'll find one that's causing your DNS problems - if you do, you could try reinstalling the driver for that particular adapter.
In my case setting the host name was not enough - it didn't help. What was missing is the Domain entry in the registry at HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Domain also.
I have no idea how did it happen to my PC, maybe after some system crash or during the recovery the entry went missing. (Because there were some problems and I did recover my system with dism and sfc.)
show servercommand. I'm not sure how to proceed.
&&in commands instead of
&. The latter will try and run the commands simultaneously, which might prevent one or more of them working.
&&will run the second command only after the first command has finished, and if it doesn't return with an error code.