I have a desktop PC, which was mounted for me by a friend. It is running OpenSUSE 13.2. This is the installed configuration:
- Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 Pro
- Processor: Intel Xeon E5/Core i7
- RAM: 4 x 4 GB G.SKill Ripjaws 1333MHz DDR3 F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
- Hard disks: two SATA 2TB disks and one SATA 3TB disk
- Graphics card: GeForce GTS 450 Rev. 2
The cabinet has four fans (front, top, back and bottom), the CPU has its fan, and the GPU has its fan as well.
Even with all of these fans, when the system is running light, core temperatures are about 43° Celsius (111° F). Whenever I start something a bit more demanding, like a video conversion with ffmpeg, core temperatures double, and there are a lot of CPU clock throttle messages in
I'd like to reduce the heat in my system. How can I do that?