I am running FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201512121950 from a USB stick in VirtualBox on a Mac Mini Server (late 2012 - Macmini6,2) running OS X El Capitan. Quad-core i7, 16G RAM, with 8G and 2 procs devoted to the FreeNAS VM.
I have multiple external hard drives (SATA and SSD) connected via USB3.0, which I am using for 2 separate storage pools consisting of virtual hard disks (.vmdk) on these individual physical drives.
- /mnt/ZFS (RAIDZ3 - 6x500G + 64G L2ARC SSD cache) - built for redundancy and important stuff, uses lz4 compression
- /mnt/Media (Various size drives, all striped + 64G L2ARC SSD cache + 8G ZIL SSD log) - built for streaming media, no compression or redundancy.
I have successfully installed and setup the Plex Media Server plugin, which uses the jail root /mnt/Media/Jails. It has the full amount of the /mnt/Media Dataset available to it without me allocating storage to this jail.
Now, what I want to do is to install the Crashplan plugin, but I realize that there is only a single jail root, which is not located on the preferred Dataset (/mnt/ZFS). I am wanting to backup important stuff with this plugin, and it should be separate from my Media dataset.
I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the whole directory/file structure and implications of jail/plugin deletions if anything were to go wrong.
The only things I can think of at this point would be one of the following 2 options:
- Add an additional Dataset specifically for jails/plugins, and set the jail root inside this new Dataset.
- Set the jail root to /mnt/ZFS/Jails for redundancy
Questions regarding #1:
- Would the new Dataset for Jails need to be redundant if I were to install the Crashplan plugin and allocate /mnt/ZFS to it in order to back that up to the cloud?
- After assigning storage to this Jail dataset, if I delete that Dataset, will it also delete the files from /mnt/ZFS that are assigned to it -- and to prevent this, could I just un-assign /mnt/ZFS to the Jails Dataset and/or Crashplan plugin?
Questions regarding #2:
- If I assign storage from /mnt/Media to a Plex Media Server plugin stored the jail root of /mnt/ZFS/Jails, what would happen if I lost a drive from /mnt/Media? Would it also corrupt the /mnt/ZFS Dataset?
- Would the entire storage of /mnt/ZFS be made available to /mnt/ZFS/Jails/plex_media_server1?
My goal is to keep these 2 datasets separate, but to be able to install plugins on each one. I am totally at a loss. Any help or advice would be appreciated at this point. I have read the documentation, but it's really not helping with my particular situation, as far as I can tell.