My recently build system mainly contains the following components:
- Mainboard: ASUS Z170-A
- Processor: Intel I5-6600
- PSU: BeQuiet S6 550W
(Until now I have been using the same PSU with a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3 + i3-530 micro)
The motherboard has the following connections:
- 24 and 8 Pin Power connectors
- CPU and CPU-FAN
- No memory (same effect with memory inserted)
- Speaker (optional)
I switch on the PSU: PWR-LED on motherboard lights up. When I start the motherboard (the z170-a has a small pwr switch directly on the board), the CPU-FAN runs but no other LEDs light up (not even blink). It is the same effect when I do not connect the 8-Pin Power connector. The speaker (when connected) does not make any sound.
I think that something is broken or short-circuited.
Tests I have done:
- PSU: connect old motherboard + old processor, works ok.
- motherboard: uninstall motherboard and run outside the case, same result. There seems to be no visible damage on the motherboard .
- CPU: No visible damage. Little connector feet on motherboard seem ok, too.
How can I know whether the problem is the CPU or the motherboard ?
When does the CPU-Diagnose LED indicate error? Should it light up when I remove the CPU?