I just rebooted my system after a week and now whenever i boot it up i am directed to the same login screen however i can no longer log in. I didn't have any password on my account so used to hit enter to login but now it just reloads the same login screen again. I cannot login with any other user because i don't have any other and login with root isn't allows. Moreover whenever i try to log in through terminal with root, it shows the last login time for an instant and then restart the session and asks me for my password again. Any help would be appreciated.
If anyone else has had this problem, this is how I fixed mine.
- Choose login with another user and login as root (logging in through the shell didn't work for me).
- Open terminal and give access to your user account for the home directory using
chown username /home/username
- Try logging in again. If it still fails, give you account access to the /root directory and any other directory that your account might have been using.
- If you can't login with root in the another user option then try using sudo to run the command in the shell with your account.
- A final thing you could do is connect your hard drive to another computer, copy the /home partition there and then delete it. After rebooting now you should be able to login as root and make a new /home partition.
I finally fixed this problem when it happened to me a second time (4 months later). It seems the problem was an unscheduled shutdown while using sudo or logged in as root on the terminal. Access problems could also have something to do with why I couldn't login in the shell.
Hope this helps
I had the same problem and it turns out my .bashrc was the culprit. To fix it, from the login screen I hit
F2 to get to terminal, then
vi ~/.bashrc and comment out anything you think could be causing a problem. For me it was a few lines that had tmux start automatically with a new terminal window. Then type
reboot to restart your computer and get back to the login screen.
Hope this helps anyone who had the same problem as me.
This is not a fix, and it is only a temporary solution and it seems so un-legitimate that it might not work for everyone (beside me).
I've rebooted a few times like this and it works. One day i was raging at the loggind so i just started to click everywhere with my mouse and got in.
So, Select yourself in the menu, enter your password and press enter. The micro second you've press enter, start clicking anywhere with your mouse.