I have a lingering problem after running a clean Windows 10 install (via Microsoft's Windows 10 media creation tool after the upgrade from Windows 8.1 failed.
It looks like the transaction resource manager is corrupted in some way and every repair I've tried has failed. The system event log is full of 136 and 137 messages (every 5 seconds):
Warning: The default transaction resource manager on volume C: encountered an error while starting and its metadata was reset. The data contains the error code. 1C00040002003000020000008800048000000000060019C000000000000000000000000000000000060019C0 Error: The default transaction resource manager on volume C: encountered a non-retryable error and could not start. The data contains the error code. 1C0004000200300002000000890004C000000000010100C000000000000000000000000000000000010100C0
A couple of the other symptoms are:
- Some Windows Updates are failing with error 0x80071a91. It seems to only be updates that change system components (and therefore rely on the Common Log File System). Windows Defender and Malicious Software Tool updates all install/run fine.
- The Credential Manager service will not start with error 6801: Transaction support within the specified resource manager is not started or was shutdown due to an error
After various searches I have ...
sfc /scannow(no errors)
chkdsk /f(no errors)
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth(no errors)
fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\and rebooted
- Rebooted in safe mode, deleted the
%SystemRoot%\config\TxR, rerun the
fsutilcommand and rebooted
- Performed a clean boot to see if the problem still remains (it does)
- Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter in admin mode. It says that "One or more Windows Update components are configured incorrectly" and that it repaired it, however the problem still remains
- Reset the Windows Update components based on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058.
None of these have fixed it and I'm not sure what went wrong in the first place during the installation. Any further suggestions, or am I up for a third rebuild?