I have a Brother MFC-6490cw printer/scanner. It has worked great and I use it mostly for scanning. But this weekend it started doing something very strange.
If all of the following are true:
- Scanning on flatbed, [wrong - See my answer below.]
- Scanning in color or greyscale, and
- Scanning an image more than a couple of inches high
then the device starts scanning, but stops after after a couple of inches. It just stops and resets itself as if no scan had been requested or run. When attempting to scan in Acrobat, Acrobat issues the message, "Scanning cancelled." In PhotoShop or ControlCenter3, there is no message at all.
If any of the following is true:
- Scanning with sheet feeder, [wrong - See my answer below.]
- Scanning in black and white, or
- Scanning document size "Business card"
then the scan runs and finishes properly.
In PhotoShop in color, I tried the following variations, all with the the same non-results:
- Resolutions of 100, 300, and 1200
- Page sizes of letter and ledger
- WiFi and USB connection
I uninstalled and reinstalled the device drivers (which required rebooting the computer), with no change. I also unplugged the device power and waited 15 minutes before plugging it in again, also with no change in this problem.
I'm running in Windows 7, 64 bit.
I had a chat with Brother tech support this morning and the agent did not find a solution and escalated the issue. I'm supposed to get a phone call within 24 hours, but I thought I'd reach out to others for possible insights.
I'm in the middle of a scanning project, so the machine has picked a bad time to malfunction. I hope someone can help.