First of all, I am not looking for a specific product at all but more so just what you would call a device to which you can connect an ethernet cable to it and then broadcast wifi from that device?

I have ethernet running through my house so each room has an ethernet port. I want to be able to attach some sort of adapter to one of these ports which would allow me to have a wifi hotspot. I know that I could use a wireless router and simply turn DHCP off on it but that is a waste to me since I would not be using the 4 ethernet ports on it at all.. so hoping for a cost savings. Again, I am just looking for what you would call such a device.

2 Answers 2


you can use a raspberry pi to achieve what you mentioned above but for that you will also require a usb network card. I myself have a pi which does the opposite i.e. it converts the wifi connection to ethernet connection.

The following websites might help you in configuring your pi:



  • Interesting idea but aren't there any existing products / product types out there that do such a thing already instead of building one?
    – Eric F
    Feb 24, 2016 at 16:16
  • I am not sure but you can look into this, if it solves your problem.
    – Jay T.
    Feb 24, 2016 at 16:22
  • I also found this
    – Jay T.
    Feb 24, 2016 at 16:59

About the cheapest way to do this with a standalone device is by using a router that has access point or bridged mode. Routers are usually the cheapest solution because there is a much bigger market for them. You should be able to find something in the $25 range for basic WiFi.

If you want to go as cheap as possible you can connect a WiFi adapter (usb or pci) to a Windows PC and enable Internet Connection Sharing. I'm sure it can be done in Linux & Mac as well but I don't know those systems as well. You can get some cheap adapters for under $10.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.