I have a Samsung NP880Z5E (IntelHD and Radeon 8700M) that I recently updated to Windows 10. After doing that, the brightness stopped working as was stuck at 50%. I fixed that issue by changing the driver for the IntelHD 4000 display adapter in Device Manager to Windows Basic Display Adapter. But once I did that, the Radeon 8700M has not worked. On this laptop, that HDMI port is attached to that card, and it is no longer responsive. I can plug in a monitor but it will not recognize it.
- Switching back to the IntelHD 4000 driver had no effect.
- Uninstalling the AMD driver with Display Driver Uninstaller, than reinstalling the latest driver had no effect.
- Disabling and re-enabling the drivers in device manager had no effect.
- There is no option for graphics cards in the BIOS.
- Radeon Settings > Sytem says the hardware is disabled, while the display adapter in Device Manager is enabled.
- There used to be an option on desktop right-click for configuring switchable graphics, but that is no longer present.
It seems as if when I switched the display adapter to fix the brightness issue, it disconnected my Radeon somehow.
Update: doing a factory restore (Laptop now has windows 8) did not resolve the issue. Next I am going to try and reset the BIOS by opening the laptop and removing the CMOS battery.