1

I have to cross-post here a question already posted on ask.libreoffice.org because I don't have an answer to a small but nasty problem (I'll delete one of these questions when I get a satisfying answer in the other):

Although spell-check for Romanian is enabled and the auto-correct options should follow that spell-check language, what happens is that i is changed automatically (auto-corrected) to I just like in English. A such auto-correction is not present for Romanian. It is for US English.

enter image description here

enter image description here

If I want to write something like Ei i-au spus ("They told him"), when I write - after i the auto-correction produces I- (the same letter but uppercase) instead of i- and I get the incorrect if not biblical Ei I-au spus ('They told Him', as if 'they' were talking to God.) It is in fact the English auto-correction from i to I (like in I am).

enter image description here

Also, i is changed to uppercase after clicking space after it (only that i alone is not a word in Romanian).

enter image description here

I have tested with different common fonts. It does not seem font-related.

  • should i delete the other one or not?? – user162573 Mar 1 '16 at 12:34
  • 1
    @cipricus No. Please don't. If you get an answer there you can write your own answer here. – DavidPostill Mar 1 '16 at 12:34
  • 1
    @cipricus What do you have set for Tools > Language > For all text? Have you set it to Romanian. If I remember correctly it is this setting that determines which Autocorrect Language and Spell Check Language settings to use. – DavidPostill Mar 1 '16 at 12:41
  • 1
    @cipricus Tools > Language > For all text > More, then set Default Languages for Documents to Romanian (check For the current document only) works here. See screenshot i.imgur.com/DrSF625.png I can add as many i as I want .... – DavidPostill Mar 1 '16 at 12:51
  • @DavidPostill - disregard my former comment now deleted. Please post your comment as answer as it works. I mean the image. Or I can do that if you prefer. – user162573 Mar 1 '16 at 13:00
0

Lowercase i is corrected to uppercase (I) in other languages

You need to set the document language:

  • Menu "Tools" > "Language" > "For all text" > "More" or Menu "Tools" > Options" > "Language Settings" > Language

  • Set "Default Languages for Documents" to "Romanian"

  • Optionally check "For the current document only"

  • Click "OK"

enter image description here


If this still doesn't fix the problem completely and other terms are still wrongly changed to English, one can disable the use of replacement table under 'Tools-Auto-correct options/Options'.

| improve this answer | |
  • After following your answer and fixing as you said now I can even roll back to English US for default language for documents and if I change a paragraph language to Romanian the problem is absent. Odd, like a small bug fixed by changing at least once the default language for documents – user162573 Mar 1 '16 at 13:29
  • @cipricus It may well be a bug. I normally use only English so I've never had the problem. I'm glad you have it all working though ;) – DavidPostill Mar 1 '16 at 13:56
  • very odd, I have to signal that if the mentioned change from 'i' to 'I' is gone by your solution I have now a different example of the same problem: excelent is changed to excellent. I simply have to disable replacement tables under 'Tools/Auto-correct options/Options'. – user162573 May 2 '16 at 14:35
  • the initial and the second problem were both in version 4.7. they are gone in version 5.2. the main part of the answer should be: "Update!" :) – user162573 May 3 '16 at 8:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy