I recently got some new parts for a computer:
- Intel i5-6500 CPU
- Asus H170-Pro Motherboard
- 2 x 4GB DDR4 RAM
- Samsung 850EVO 500GB SSD
- Western Digital 1TB Caviar Blue HDD
- Windows 10 Pro x64
I put these together, but am having some trouble with the build. Namely, the PC keeps freezing.
- I first installed Windows onto the SSD. The installation went fine, however the computer froze during Windows Update. I waited several hours then restarted the computer, but found it would always freeze within ~15min of startup.
- I thought the issue was the SSD, so I disconnected it and installed Windows onto the HDD. Once again the install went fine, but it froze during Windows update. Restarting the computer, I found that it would still constantly freeze within ~15min of starting the computer.
- I searched online, and some people said that it was a driver issue. I reinstalled Windows onto the HDD, but this time I did not update through Windows update. Instead I paused the update, and installed the driver CD that came with the motherboard. Somehow things seemed to work, and I tried to do the same process with the SSD. This however didn't work, and the SSD kept freezing within ~15min of starting the computer.
- I suspected the CPU fan, and returned to the working HDD and ran Prime95 to stress test it, together with a program to display the CPU temps. It ran successfully for an hour, with the CPU temp rising to about 71 degrees C. Thinking I had a working PC I set it to install a program overnight. However in the morning I turned it on to see the screen frozen exactly as before. It seemed like the problem was still there, just for some reason it would take longer to appear.
- I thought maybe Windows 10 was the issue. I switched to the SSD and tried to install a copy of Windows 7 x64. This however froze during the installation. I tried again, with the same result.
- I went back to the HDD with the semi-working copy of windows, and re-tried to reinstall Windows 10 x64. This however froze during the installation. I tried to install Windows 10, with the same result.
I can't understand what could be going wrong. The fact that it happens with either HDD, and Prime95 ran for an hour with CPU temps reasonable, leads me to believe the motherboard is at fault. However, I can't reconcile this with how the PC was at one point working for several hours before freezing. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?