How to I replace the following text with another text string?

"<space> QWERTY" → "qwerty"

The string that is going to be replaced starts with a space. Actually a hard space. It seems like I can't replace a text string starting with a space.

2 Answers 2


All that you should need to do is use CTRL+H to open the "Find and Replace" dialogue box and then enter QWERTY (with the space) in the "Find What:" field and querty in the "Replace with" field. and hit the "Replace All" button.

  • I was hoping for a solution not involving search and replace. Any ideas?
    – ROLF
    Mar 14, 2016 at 10:29
  • Doing it completely automatically - I'm not sure, however, there is a semi-automatic way to do it. There's a piece of software called AutoHotKey (autohotkey.com/download) that allows you to set up a keyboard short-cuts including, if I am not mistaken, Ctrl-key combinations, so that you can use (for example) Ctrl+Win+Z to initiate the sequence of key strokes to automatically do the Ctrl+H and then enter the text to be replaced and the replacement text as well as press replace all. I've not used AutoHotKey personally, but I believe it is possible.
    – Jim
    Mar 14, 2016 at 11:15

I now solved this by inserting a dot:





This may come in handy in Word when frequently using m³, °C, etc:

1337.m3 → 1337 m³

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .