Can I reduce this 1.45GB use of Avira?
Forgive me for the (first) obvious solutions, but it's best to list all solutions.
Check if it's scanning in the background
Some anti-virus programs simply don't care about memory management. Nor give you options to reduce memory usage. It might be (secretly) scanning in the background or doing "virusscanner stuff".
This will certainly decrease RAM usage :) To be honest, Avira.ServiceHost.exe sounds even a little malacious. Why not just Avira.exe? If there is a software bug in Avira (memory leak) I don't think you could fix it. If anyone knows about this, it would be Avira or their engineers.
I have tried disabling Avira and closing avira.exe and my PC still uses 1.2GB
Using only 1.2GB for all other processes isn't that much?
Maybe this might help?
1,3GB for explorer.exe is also a little much?
Either Avira is bumping this up (since it's scanning or defragmenting) or you've got some problems with your windows installation.
You can try this:
- Check the web for others having the same problem (and possible solution)
- Boot in safe mode and check if the issue is persistent.
- Check and repair you windows integrity using: sfc /scannow
- If nothing works, reinstall your windows, so you're sure that isn't the problem
- After re-installing windows, clean-install Avira (and if it persists, it's probably their fault, get another Antivirus, you can't just de-allocate RAM I believe, that would also give more errors I guess.)
That's one way to fix memory issues and anti-virus issues?
Consider an RAM upgrade
4GB isn't that much RAM nowadays. I don't really get why you would have a SSD but only 4GB RAM. I've got a laptop with 8GB of RAM but a regular HDD and it works great. (Since only loading stuff to RAM takes time, opening word/IDE/games)