Searching on internet i've found this article


Where i've read that electronic devices and in general appliances without motor does not need voltage regulators. This seems very strange for me because until now i was believing that my computer , TV , DVD player , satellite Receiver..etc need voltage regulators and i have this because what if grid voltage goes 320V or more in some situations ?

So , do i really need a voltage stabilizers for electronic devices ?

Thank you !

  • 2
    Sorry, but per the help center, this question is off topic. Please read help center to better understand what is acceptable to ask here. – CharlieRB Apr 7 '16 at 15:14
  • 4
    It considerably depends on the region of the world in which you are living. In the part of Europe in which I am living we commonly do not have those critical fluctuations. – daniel.neumann Apr 7 '16 at 15:16
  • 1
    Sorry. I can understand your frustration with being bounced around. Please understand that your question is regionally specific to your locale. We could not possibly know about these things if we are from a different country. Where I live, those things are not needed in most home. Maybe if you edit you question to be more clear about what you are asking related to computers, then it will be more on-topic, and someone will help you. – CharlieRB Apr 7 '16 at 17:25
  • 1
    If your trying to protect your computer (on topic for here) a full featured UPS can do regulation as needed, and some protection, and blackout and brownout protection. It could be said that it is not required , but who cares what they say, a Good UPS can prevent and stabalise. a Cheap UPS could be made to protect only from blackout and minor surge protect, so potentially could advantage from seperated regulation, with a cheap UPS. If your trying to protect and stablise your computer power, research UPSes for computers that are (way more) full featured. – Psycogeek Apr 8 '16 at 0:50
  • 3
    As far as computers, the power supply will handle a certain range of voltages, which will be on a label on the power supply. If the voltage is within that range, you don't necessarily need a voltage regulator. Outside of that range, the power supply can be damaged if the voltage is too high or if there are surges, and your computer will shut off unexpectedly, likely causing corruption, if the voltage is too low, even momentarily. If you live in an area where the voltage, even periodically, is outside the range specified for the power supply, get a UPS. – fixer1234 Apr 8 '16 at 5:46

Your question applies to electrical appliances everywhere in the world. That article is accurate about voltage variations that are problematic for motorized appliances and irrelevant to electronics. Appliances have voltage ratings for continuous operation. Wider numbers apply for intermittent voltages. For example, properly designed electronics (even before PCs existed) would routinely withstand up to 600 volts without damage. Today's electronics are typically more robust.

Motorized appliances may be at greater risk due to voltage anomalies. And not just due to voltage variation. Other anomalies created by a UPS in battery backup mode can create problems for motorized appliances. That same 'dirty' power is perfectly good for electronics.

UPS provides temporary and 'dirty' power during blackouts - so that unsaved data can be saved. It does nothing for electronic hardware protection, does not claim to, and can be problematic for life expectancy of motorized appliances.

Numbers for those trends vary based upon 120 or 230 volt operation, time, and other factors. But that article is quite accurate. It contradicts many who are only educated by hearsay and advertising. UPS does almost nothing for protection of electronic hardware. Otherwise one could provide numbers for each electronic part that is harmed without a UPS.

You concern is a rare anomaly, maybe once every seven years, that might overwhelm robust protection already inside every appliance. That solution is provided by something completely different.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.