What is Word's non-printing symbol that is a small circle (looks like a "degrees" mark)? I haven't found this in other articles, web searches, forums. Is it a new version of "keep with next"?

This comes up regularly when copy/pasting from a gmail draft into Word for the purpose of fixing formatting (gmail often scrambles my formatting even if it looks right before I hit send).

These are helpful but still don't contain the mark I'm looking for: http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/NonprintChars.htm http://wordribbon.tips.net/T005994_Understanding_Nonprinting_Characters.html What does this nonprinting symbol mean in Microsoft Word?

  • 2
    Screenshot please. Upload your image(s) to Imgur and you will get link(s) you can share. Edit your question to include the link(s) and someone with sufficient reputation will inline the image(s) for you. – DavidPostill Apr 19 '16 at 17:41

What is the nonprinting symbol that is a small circle (looks like a "degrees" mark)?

It's a non-breaking space.

Space Characters

A degree symbol ° represents a non-breaking space (Ctrl+Shift+Space), which you can use to prevent words from being separated at the end of a line.

Source Nonprinting Formatting Marks

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.