I recently updated the drivers for my NVIDIA GeForce video card to version 364.72 (or other version in the 364.xx series), and I'm now experiencing issues such as the following:
- Games or other graphically intensive applications crash or hang
- I get BSODs that are associated with the graphics driver, e.g.
- Graphical glitches such as missing or misplaced text or icons, display corruption, or a black screen occur
- The graphics driver crashes regularly, with the message "Display driver [...] has stopped responding and has recovered."
- The fan on my graphics card spins up to high speed, or the card makes excessive noise
Reinstalling the graphics driver did not help. What's going on?
This question comes up often and the answers are usually the same. This post is meant to provide a definitive, canonical answer for this problem. Feel free to edit the answer to add additional details.