I'm using a Western Digital My Passport Ultra (2TB) 1.5 years ago and I've recently been seeing a lot of problems with this external drive in event viewer.
So far, whenever I connect this to the computer I would receive a large number of errors. This is a list of all the ones I've seen so far (I get multiple instances of them all):
- ERROR: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk3\DR9 (most common, as in 100 of these per second common)
- ERROR: The default transaction resource manager on volume F: encountered a non-retryable error and could not start. The data contains the error code.
- ERROR: The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume \Device\HarddiskVolume3.
- WARNING: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk3\DR9 during a paging operation.
- WARNING: The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.
Does this mean that my hard drive is failing? because I've tried running chkdsk (/f /r) and SMART checks and it has passed both with no errors. When I can open the contents of the drive, I can play, copy and paste files in and out of the drive without any issues either.
I am really not sure exactly what is wrong with my HDD (though most of the time I can use it properly, occasionally it says that it is unaccessible). It also makes a very quiet clicking sound rarely, though I noted that it's done that since I first got it so I thought it was normal.
Hope someone can help shed some light on this, and advise me on what I should do to fix this. I'm guessing it is a controller problem but I have no idea what to do to fix it since the only things I can find on the internet are about bad sectors and the usual drive problems. This one seems a little bit different.